Friday, May 16, 2008

Rear Locker Fitted

Last night saw another trip to Bob's in Edinburgh to fit the Detroit Locker into the Rear Axle. This involved pulling the old axle out and fitting a whole new axle. While I was at it I fitted a set of cranked radius arms from D44. These will stop bush wearing at the rear end. The reason I changed the axle was so that a. I would get Disc Brakes on the rear and b. to get 24 spline half shafts for added strength.


New axle rebuilt and set ready to go back on the truck. As soon as we fixed everything back up and bled the brakes we had to go test it. It was 10.45pm and roof lights were switched on we headed to the forest at the end of Bob's track. I buried it into a ditch and booted it the truck found grip and drove right through. Job done. We went into the slightly steeper ditch and did have to get the winch out but I'm still happy.
The scary news this week is that I have got a place in the Tay Forest Challenge event at the end of August so a little more prep work before then. Rear Winch and maybe a bigger set of tyres. I'm competing with Mike Robertson who I marshalled for last year.